Damon C. Nelson
8/2017 to Present William Harrah College of Hospitality
- Teaching and research assistant.
- Created a marketing campaign for the Hospitality Student Graduate Association using Mailchimp.
- Developed marketing materials for the graduate college.
- Prepared meals for an international cuisine class of 40 students.
- Assisted undergraduates in presenting international cuisine class projects.
- Coded quantitative research data points into analyzable spreadsheets.
1/2017 to Present Senseworld Industries
Creator and Developer
- Designed, developed, and created the Android app Phungie for identifying wild mushrooms.
- Programmed in Java and XML using Android Studio, as well as creating an API in PHP.
- Designed and built a WordPress website as a back end for the app.
- Designed all graphic elements and user interfaces and maintained a MySql database of wild mushroom characteristics.
- Sought and published commercially licensable images.
- Wrote and created articles and descriptions of the initial collection of 130 mushrooms.
- Published and beta-tested though the Google Play Store.
5/2015 to 8/2015 and 10/2016 to 7/2017 Lochsa Lodge Powell, ID
Lead Line Cook
- Responsible for training and supervision of line cooks, prep cooks and dishwashers.
- First point of contact between kitchen staff, sous chef, executive chef, and resort managers.
- Responsible for full menu production in a busy mountain lodge resort.
- Fully responsible for the production of weekend barbecues for the lodge restaurant as well as for special events.
- Catered meals for firefighters under evacuation conditions.
- Creation of nightly specials.
- Cleaning and maintenance of a full service kitchen.
5/2016 to 9/2016 Scotty’s Table Missoula, MT
- Dinner Shift Grill and Pantry Cook for upscale American bistro.
- Special creation and production of seasonal and local dishes.
- Timely production of meals in a fast-paced kitchen environment.
- Daily butchery, and fish and poultry processing.
3/2016 to 5/2016 Sterling Bank Services Missoula, MT
- Desktop support, including hardware and software.
- Repair of surplus laptops, including full teardowns and replacement of all FRUs.
- Mobile support.
- Implementation of new e-mail system in a production environment.
- Imaging laptops, desktops, and tablets, and maintaining reference images.
- Support for distance workers.
- Installation and maintenance of software.
- Installation of network switches.
9/2015 to 5/2016 Missoula College Learning Center Missoula, MT
- Helped students overcome difficulties in their first-year computer and IT courses.
- Troubleshooting student’s programming projects.
- Fostering a positive learning experience and growth environment.
- Administering tests.
- Documentation of student needs and utilization of services.
- Assisting students with the basic computing skills required to attend college, including Microsoft office suite.
- Administrative duties for the Learning Center office.
10/2015 to 3/2016 Brooks Street Motor Inn Missoula, MT
- Customer service and front-desk duties on graveyard shift.
- Nightly audits of transactions and staff paperwork.
- Credit card processing and cash handling.
- Reservations and check-ins using multiple platforms and web services.
- Nightly cleaning of lobby and front desk area.
7/2014 to 5/2015 Bravo Catering Missoula, MT
- Responsible for full menu production in a mobile kitchen.
- On-site event production serving 10 – 500 guests.
- Appetizers, entrees, soups and sauces.
- Fine dining, buffet, and family-style service.
6/2013 to 11/2013 University of Montana Missoula, MT
Culinary Associate II
- Responsible for institutional food production for up to 3,000 students daily.
- Supervision of student employees and temporary staff.
- Portion control and daily totals produced for production managers and chefs.
- Cleaning equipment and documenting needed maintenance.
- Ensuring proper food handling and sanitation.
4/2013 to 6/2013 Kahiltna Birchworks Palmer, AK
- Temporary Agriculture Worker in Alaskan forest tapping birch trees for the production of birch syrup.
- Physically demanding work in extreme conditions.
- Used and maintained equipment including snow machines, pumps, six-wheelers, and chainsaws, as well as specialized hand tools used by the syrup industry.
6/2008 to 11/2012 Western Montana Mental Health Center Missoula, MT
- Met with mental health consumers in the community to assist with daily needs and responsibilities.
- Provided visual and phone based verification of medication compliance.
- Provided house supervision and management for up to seven mental health clients in a residential setting.
- Responsible for therapeutic interventions including implementing a step-level system for clients, to track and encourage progress.
- Responsible for house purchasing, budgeting, and meals.
- Maintained a safe and secure environment for a 5 bed crisis facility
- Responsible for charting and quality assurance of staff paperwork.
- Answered a mental health crisis line serving all of Western Montana.
- Light housework and maintenance duties.
- Responsible for knowledge and performance of duties for all positions.
- Crisis management, medication monitoring, charting, conflict management, crisis line, supportive conversation, group facilitation, meal preparation, house management, emergency procedures.
Group Home Staff
Overnight Crisis Stabilization Specialist
On-call Relief Crisis Worker
1/2007 to 6/2009 BBER/University of Montana Missoula. MT
- Performed telephone surveys with business owners.
- Utilized professional telephone skills, documentation, and paperwork.
3/2005-9/2007 University of Montana Catering Missoula, MT
- Student Employee of the Year 2005, University Dining Services.
- Responsible for event production serving 1 to 1500 customers per event.
- Direction of other students, increasing production.
- Served as assistant to Catering Chef on Presidential events serving foreign dignitaries, alumni, lecturers, and department heads in the home of the University President, and at various locations on campus.
2016 Missoula College Missoula, MT
Associates of Applied Sciences in Information Systems Management
- Classes in programming, networking, and tech-support.
- 4.0 grade average
- Presidential Award for Outstanding Students
- Phi Theta Kappa honor society
2003-2008 University of Montana Missoula, MT
Bachelor of Arts Sociology
- Emphasis in Psychology and Media Arts
- Outstanding Senior Award
- Graduated High Honors
- Golden Key Honor Society
1996-1997 Western Culinary Institute Portland, OR
Diploma in Culinary Arts
- Internship, Hawaii Prince Hotel, Waikiki
May, 2016 University of Montana Missoula, MT
Computer Support Specialist Certification
January, 2016 CompTIA Missoula, MT
CompTia A+ Certified PC Technician
December, 2015 Test-Out Corp. Missoula, MT
PC Pro Certification
2013 Mastery of Meditation and Zen New Brunswick, NJ
Certified Gentle Yoga and Meditation Instructor
2009 NAMI Montana Missoula, MT
10 week mental health provider education course
- Tech Geek, Java programmer, Linux Guru, Backpacker, Mushroom Hunter. Cults researcher, Yoga and Meditation Instructor, Media Artist, Barbecue Maestro.